1.30.2007

Visiting my mom at the hospital

While I was sick over the weekend I had a couple of bad dreams, one of which was a nightmare of my mom passing away. Horrible. You know how you wake up and you think your dream really happened? I woke up really upset after having that dream and was relieved when I realized it wasn't real. On the way home from work yesterday my Mom called to tell me she was admitted into the hospital for pneumonia that morning. My heart sank. I was scared for her. She sounded so frail and in pain. :( If you've met my mom, you'd know she's not like that at all. She's very high-strung and doesn't stop moving except when she's sleeping.

I went to visit her tonight and she sounds better today. Not as weak as when I talked to her last night and coughing less. She said she didn't have an appetite but I know she misses eating her plate of steamed rice and overcooked vegies. She kept pushing her hospital dinner on me. Uh, no thanks. Since I was within a 5 mile radius of 50 different Vietnamese restaurants near the hospital I had my heart set on a big bowl of pho. Nothing like where I live.

As I get older I think my parents get crazier every year. My mom wouldn't drink the bottle of Pepsi my dad brought her because it tastes too sweet. She wouldn't touch the apple juice that was included with her dinner. What does she want instead? Tang. Yes. That that's right. I'm talking the orange sugar powder mix you add to water and VOILA! Orange sugar water. In their minds they think they're drinking real orange juice. My dad smuggled in a big ass thermos of it that he made at home. I told them it's just orange sugar mixed with water. My dad swears up and down that shit is healthy. This is why I'm fucked up. It wasn't worth the argument and left it alone. *shaking head* Doesn't take a genius to figure out why my dad is diabetic.



My parents were telling me they liked the staff of nurses this time better than when my dad was in the hospital last year when my dad had surgery for his intestine. I guess his nurse was a bitch and he didn't like how rude she was to my mom. To get back at the nurse he would make a "mess" of his bed on purpose. Not just once...but twice. Sweet revenge. An eye for an eye. LOL. Now you know where my evil side comes from. It's hereditary. My dad is insane. I told him he's the reason why I'm not a nurse. I don't want to deal with patients like him. Damn...I'd get all kinds of patients shitting their beds to get back at me.

A couple of aunts and uncles swung by to visit saving me from listening to another whacked dad story. I knitted as they all chatted and exchanged gossip. It's funny how they think I can't understand what they talk about in Ilocano. I don't get every word, but I have a basic understanding of what they are talking about. When visiting hours were over everyone took off and we left my mom watching American Idol. My dad treated me to a Pho dinner and my favorite pearl drink at Fantasia Tea Cafe. I felt like my 10-year old self hanging out with my dad and getting whatever I asked for.

The doctor said she'll be released on Thursday. Between now and then, please send good vibes to my Mom to get healthy fast and home soon.

No comments: