7.11.2008

No, my first name ain't Jean

It's Betty...Ms. Crocker if you're hungry for cupcakes!!! Sorry, I was channeling old school Janet (Ms. Jackson if you're nastayyy) while baking my lovely lovely Red Velvet Cupcakes. =)


I'm not much of a baker, but I have been seriously craving cupcakes, red velvet specifically. I have the option of going to the cupcakery but that requires gas for a 25 min drive. At $3/cupcake, I was thinkin'....SCREW THAT! I'm making my own dang delicious cupcakes. This required lots and lots of looking up recipes online and deciding on one. ONE. You know how many freakin' red velvet batter recipes there are?! I avoided any recipes that called for shortening. Anytime I've used shortening in anything I bake, like cookies, they taste gross. Real butter (unsalted) has to be used. A recipe from Simply Recipes seemed promising.


I felt like it took all afternoon to make them from scratch but it was worth it. No cake mixes for me. The cupcakes came out a beautiful red. They tasted and felt light and fluffy. The cream cheese frosting was another story. I've never made frosting from scratch before. It's easier to spoon it out of the Duncan Hines tub and spread it on. I had trouble with the consistency. I let the butter and cream cheese get too soft or it was too hot in the house. The frosting came out too liquidy. When I tried to pipe it onto the cupcakes I couldn't get the frosting to stop flowing out of makeshift piping bag I made out of a ziplock bag. It was a frosting mess. I chilled it in the fridge for a couple hours and piped a dollop on top of them. It wasn't a success but at least the frosting didn't slide off the cupcakes.

I think my cupcake obsession has been satisfied for now, at least until my sugar rush subsides. Maybe carrot cupcakes next?

No comments: