4.30.2008

My Backyard is a Magnet for Stray Animals

About 2 years ago we found a husky running around our backyard. I got home after work today, opened a window on the side of the house, looked down and saw the stray cat that's been hanging out on the side of our house in an old cat carrier we've had there. The cat's eyes bugged out but didn't go flying this time. Then I saw a bitty head pop out next to it. Now imagine me shrieking at the cuteness and utter shock of a seeing a kitten in the carrier. That explains why the cat didn't bolt...Mama kitty wasn't leaving her babies.



I spotted about 3 kitties in the carrier with Mama. There's a dark orange one like Mama, a lighter orange creamsicle colored one, and a combo dark/light orange kitten. SOOOO CUUUUTTTEEE!! I shrieked multiple times each time a new kitty popped out with Mama glaring at me the whole time.

Then I got to thinking....is my boy cat the baby daddy? I swear he's been fixed. I swear! But the coloring of those kitten certainly make me think he's been messing around when he escapes out of the house when I'm not looking. Hmmm...

I'm not sure what to do now. I can't let those kitties be strays. I'd like to surrender them to a no kill pet shelter....or ask around if anyone is interested in a kitten (or 2 or 3), but first I got to get them away from Mama kitty. That will be a challenge...but I'll leave that up to Bubba. =) I guess I need to call our local pet shelter and ask how to handle this.

I'd love to keep one but 2 house cats is already one too many for me. I don't want to be known as the neighborhood cat lady. So anyone out there want a cute kitten? Anyone? C'mon! I know you want one. How can you resist?

*edit*
This is my 200th post! I can't believe it. I didn't think I'd keep this up at all.

No comments: