5.06.2008

Maker Faire 2008

Bubba and I attended the Maker Faire on Sunday. I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew that Bazaar Bizarre was there (shopping!!!) and there were a couple guest speakers I wanted to check out. One speaker was the the Yarn Harlot aka Stephanie Pearl-McPhee who is well known author in the knitting/knit blog community but she was only there on Saturday. Bummer. Bubba almost didn't go with me since he worked all night and got less than 5 hours of sleep. The boy can't function on less than 7 hours sleep. Fortunately he did come along because he seemed to have a blast! Maker Faire turned out to be 80% tech geeky and 20% craft, kiddie activities, entertainment, etc. Bubba is all about tech geekage so he was like a kid in a candy store. He's already told me he's going again next year and NOT alone with me. HA! He's such a brat. He could tell I got a bit bored. I mostly followed him around most of the day after I was done with the stuff that I wanted to check out.

Andy Savage from Mythbusters was scheduled to speak and we were able to find a spot in the crowd to see him. He was fun to listen to but I had to leave halfway through the hour presentation because I was getting clausterphobic. There were WAY too many people crowding me so I needed to get some air before I passed out on the family sitting in front of me where I was standing. I went shopping while I waited for Bubba. He met up with me to get some lunch and then we hustled it over to another see another speaker...Ryan Scott from Top Chef! He's a locaI too and has worked in SF restaurants. I was more excited to see him since I watch Top Chef religiously every week. Oh yeah...and Ryan is quite a hottie.

SEE! I was trying to hide the "OMG OMG he's touching me!" excitement that was going through my head with that stupid ear to ear smile I had on my face. I hear that he has a swelled head and not a nice person (the boy has a lot of haters) but he didn't come across that way during the presentation or afterwards when he welcomed taking pics with him and signing autographs. With every person he took pics with he kept asking if the pic was ok and told them they can take another if they didn't like how it turned out. He was very sweet. One of the girls was killling me though and totally taking advantage. I think she took at least 5 or 6...in all different poses. One of them was of her kissing him on the cheek. Gag me. Who am I kidding? I would've done the same if Bubba wasn't with me (taking the pic)! After Bubba took the pic of me and Ryan, Ryan asked, "Do you want to both be in the pic?" and I was like..."Nah...he doesn't need to be in it." Just you and I, Ryan....YOU AND I...


As for the rest of the faire, there was a bunch of cool things to see. At Bazaar Bizarre there was a familar face at one of the booths. I only knew her face because I had just seen her on Ravelry when I was looking up amigurumi patterns. It was Tamie from Roxycraft! Her patterns are really cute. She was very nice and I bought her Hoot Hoot kit. I missed one area where they had human sized motorized cupcakes and a bunch of metal sculptures. I was too exhausted to walk anymore and we still had to catch the shuttle back to the car. We got home and passed out.

Update on the kitties:

Friday night Bubba and I went out. When we got home to check on them they were all gone. Mama cat didn't like that Bubba took the screen off the window so we can give them some food and water. I guess she thought we were a threat at that point and thought "Screw this...I'm taking my babies somewhere safe!" We got attached to them and now we're a little heartbroken that they're gone. I didn't even get to play with those tiny puffballs. =(

We're still keeping an eye out for them. If they don't come back hopefully wherever she took them someone will be able to get to the kitties and find them good homes.

No comments: