8.04.2006

Lucky Lead Foot

Late one night last week I was pulled over for speeding on the highway. I was having trouble hearing Erin on my cell phone and I wasn't paying attention to the highway patrol car that I was passing up at 78 mph. IT WAS DARK!!!! I saw the red and blue lights flashing behind me and I immediately knew why I was getting pulled over. I just accepted getting busted. Instead of pulling over on the side of the road I took the next exit. I'm sure it pissed off the cop. Oh and did I mention I had a glass of wine? Actually it wasn't even a full glass...more like 1/4 of red and 1/4 of white. I was sampling my friend's wine an hour before I got on the road. I knew I was ok to drive. It takes much more than a 1/2 glass of wine to get me buzzed.

So I got out all my info waiting for the officer to come over. He came over to the passenger's side and knocked on my window. I rolled it down and he asked why I was passing up a marked patrol car so fast. I told him the truth. I was on the phone, I honestly didn't see him and I just wanted to get home. It was so late. I apologized. He asked how my driving record was and I told him it should be clean. Last speeding ticket I got was over 2 years ago and I have no points on my record. He asked for my license, etc. and said he was going to check it out. I sat there for 10 minutes HOPING that he'd be nice and let me go. He came back and said that I do have a clean record and he's going to keep it that way. Only a verbal warning this time and a comment about why they want cell phones banned while driving. Understandable. I was elated that I got out of a $200+ ticket (plus traffic school hours and fees) and very grateful I got an officer that was in a good mood. Not sure why he was so nice to me but maybe the highway patrol filled their ticket quota for the month. I thanked him for not writing me up and he asked if I knew how to get back out on the freeway...and I was like...uh duh....I live in the next town over. Of course.

I drove away surprised that I got away with it. That never happens to me! Because I'm such a pessimist I know that my next ticket will be twice as much. :/

1 comment:

Erin said...

what a lucky girl you are! Knowing my luck I would have gotten that ticket.