6.02.2006

BAD BAD Malasada!


Last night I went to L&L Hawaiian Barbecue after I hit the gym. Bad decision, I know. I could smell the BBQ the closer I got to the restaurant. I made the stop there justifiable by telling myself I haven’t been there in months AND I just got paid. I ordered the BBQ Combo Mix and Chicken Katsu Plates for Bubba and I to share.

While waiting a VERY LONG time for my order (they run on island time), I saw that they sold malasadas. I haven't had any malasadas since I was in Hawaii a couple years ago. My cousin who lives out there took me to Leonard's (or some place similar) and I've been hooked ever since. So I got a sudden craving and ordered a half dozen. I got my entrees and waited even longer for them to cook up the malasadas.

I was starving by the time I got home. The BBQ and the chicken was good as usual. Then it was malasada eatin' time. I pulled out the brown bag and it was SOAKED in oil. Not a good sign. I opened the bag and this is what I find:


Not what I was expecting. They were dark, oily, and covered with clumps of sugar. Kinda tasted burnt. Not fluffy at all. I ate one and I may as well have downed a bottle of vegetable oil. I was completely disappointed and sick to my stomach. Never again will I order them from L&L.

The malasadas I had looked completely different. See the pictures here. Oh well...maybe if my cousin Cyndi reads this she'll Fed Ex me a dozen of the good stuff. :) Did I mention there are filled malasadas too? OOHHHHH soooo good.

No comments: