5.04.2014

Jane Austen, Joey Lawrence, and tears

You would think I would've read at least 20 books during my current state of unemployment. Late last year after reading "A Weekend with Mr. Darcy", a light chick lit novel about an Austen addict I decided my only New Year's resolution for 2014 was to read all of Jane Austen's 6 novels.  I wanted to be in-the-know and understand why there's a Janeite culture. I have this romantic notion of going to England on a Jane Austen vacation tour (may as well add a Downton Abbey tour too.)  We're now 5 months into the year and I haven't read one line of any of her work. In fact I've only read one book in 2014 and it's been this one:


I came across it Googling/IMDBing info after watching all the seasons of ABC Family's Melissa and Joey starring Melissa Joan Hart and Joey Lawrence. Both were child actors growing up in the 80's and 90's and I watched most of the shows they starred in. M&J was never in my show radar yet I always saw the commercials promoting the show during Pretty Little Liars. I saw a small clip a few weeks ago and I was hooked. It's a current version of Who's the Boss, which I was a big fan of when I was a kid growing up in the 80's. Yup...sexual tension/chemistry up the ying yang. I. AM. IN.  I got my money's worth in Netflix streaming. In all honesty, I watch the show for Joey Lawrence. He's one of the few male child actors of my time that physically improved with age. His tan is probably 3 shades Jersey Shore darker than it should be and there's a hint of botox usage but his very fit body makes up for it.   

I needed a quick break from knitting, watching, and job searching. An easy read of MJH's memoirs would be a good start before plowing through other books on my long "to-read" list. I have 10+ on my kindle waiting for me. I finished the 266 pages within 24 hours of getting my hands on it at the library. Quick and easy. I liked the insight to her life. She embodies the "work hard, play hard" ethic with a large supportive family in all aspects of her life and that's why she is successful and grounded. But who's kidding? Being blonde, blue eyed, beautiful  and very extroverted gets you pretty far in the entertainment industry. The next book to check off my list won't be as easy to plow through when I can't read the words through my tears...


The Fault in our Stars has been on my kindle for nearly a year. I've been hesitant to start because after reading a few brief reviews I know I'll be an emotional wreck at the end. I'm about ready for a good cry. Part of me is praying to get hired at a new job that will delay this read awhile longer.

No comments: