5.19.2014

Bay to Breakers 2014: The aftermath


SO. MUCH. PAIN.

Every time I get up to walk around my feet remind me how much work they did yesterday and are punishing me for it. I blame myself for not doing any regular training but my focus the past few months has not been exercise. This is my 2nd consecutive year I've done Bay to Breakers. 7.46 miles (or 12k) of crazy with 30k people. As usual many were in costume or in nothing at all. I recall being behind lots of girls (and guys) in booty shorts. I haven't seen that many bare butts since last year's race. Things were a little different this time around. It started 30 minutes late due to fallen scaffolding at the start of Hayes street hill. That was never needed before but there was a contest for the fastest male/female to go up the hill for $2,500. On the positive, the shirts were better, medals were given out (there were none last year), security was increased, and the shuttle wait back to BART was better organized and controlled.

I'm happy that my friend was able to join me for it. Our bodies were aching by the time we were done but I enjoyed it so much. Not a bad way to burn over 2000 calories. This San Francisco race is not for everyone but I find it really fun to experience in my favorite city. Yesterday's race is the only one I've signed up for this year. I hope I can do it all over again next year and every year after that until I can't do it anymore. 

No comments: