3.14.2008

Happy 90th, Gramma!

Today is my Grandma's 90th birthday. My aunt went to the Philippines to celebrate it early with her and recently sent some pics of the party. Doesn't my Grandma look awesome at her age? She takes one medication and has a bum hip she just had surgery for, but she's pretty damn healthy for a woman of her age. Her hearing is excellent. Probably better than mine. I hope I have her super woman genes.
I miss my Grandma a lot. She's my last living grandparent and has been for most of my life. She helped my parents raise my brother and I (and most of my cousins....at least 10 of us total in the Philippines and in the bay area). This was a huge help to my mom. My father was in the Navy so he was gone for months at a time till I was in the 6th grade. I have very fond memories of the times we had with her. What's funny is that when I talk about her with my brother and cousins we have pretty much the same fond memories...mostly the things she's taught us and her daily routines. Many things we took for granted then and appreciate now. She has a lot of grandchildren and she didn't play favorites. That's what I love about her. She treated us all equally...loves us all unconditionally.
She would love to come back and visit the family here, but it's too much for her to travel. A long 14+ hour flight is tough on anyone...so imagine it as a 90 year old. I haven't been to the Philippines in over 15 years and I'm very due to go back and see my Grandma again.
Happy Birthday Gramma...and hope you have more healthy birthdays to come!

No comments: