12.12.2006

Random bookstore guy

I was at the bookstore the other night. I spent awhile looking at knitting books...didn't see anything I liked so I went on to the magazine area. I searched the crafty magazine section and zeroed in on the knitting magazines. I pick one out and started looking through it and minding my own business. Out of nowhere some guy stops in front of me and says, "Those magazines are bad for you....they distort a woman's body image." Say what?! I looked at him in confusion cuz I wasn't even sure if he was talking to me. He was. He proceeded to continue telling me that fashion/beauty magazines are bad bad bad and it's ridiculous that women think they need to be perfect and ridiculously unattainable. I get his point, but why is he telling me this? Why is he talking to me? Why am I listening to him? I was listening too long because he continued to rant about random things to me for what seemed like forever and I just stood there like I was interested in what he had to say. But really, I was scared out of my mind that he was a psycho that was ready to jump me at the bookstore if I didn't agree with what he was saying. At the same time, wondering topics he'll throw at me. He also had an interesting accent. When he pointed out the magazine I was holding in my hand and he finally shut up...I was like...um, I'm not even looking at a beauty magazine. He was like, OH. We made small talk for a few more minutes...like he wanted to know my nationality and if I've been to my homeland. He was South African. He like grilled me on what I know about my heritage, which I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know much. It's not like I've taken a History of the Philippines class before. Sheesh! He was like...why don't you know? Anyway, he was starting to annoy me and I started backing away from him and took my cell out of my bag to check the time to give him the hint I'm done with this conversation. Fortunately he got it...I told him to have a good night and he went on his merry way. Some people are just interesting. All I wanted to do is look at a knitting magazine. =/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, um.....scary.