4.05.2009

Tahoe Trip: March 2009


Last weekend was spent at the north side of Lake Tahoe. I hadn't been there in years. I forgot how laid back it is compared to the south shore. No big casinos. Less tourists. It was also the tail end of the snow season. From what I saw the snow was melting fast because the weather was pretty warm during the day. At night it was still chilly...30-40 degrees or so with that bite in the air.

Our group rented a cabin that could fit up to 16 people. It was a good sized cabin. The living area/kitchen and master bedroom was upstairs and the rest of the bedrooms (5 I think) were downstairs. It was a cozy place but it had it's faults. The fireplace/furnace heater thingy warmed that place up like it was hell on earth. We called it the incinerator because it was so damn hot. The door knob of the bathroom next to our bedroom was broken so I got locked in. Of course everyone was upstairs watching a movie and banging on the door did no good. Fortunately I had my cell phone on me. Phone calls to Bubba to rescue me weren't going through so I texted him. Hearing laughter from upstairs confirmed he got the message. There was another door leading outside of the house from the bathroom so he brought me my shoes so I wouldn't have to walk in the snow. Bubba had to take off the door knob. With 16 people it had to be done. The dishwasher was discovered to be broken too...all the water leaked out when the first load of dishes were put in. So fun washing a butt load of dishes on vacation.

We went to Northstar on Saturday. Most of the group were snowboarding virgins, including Bubba. I played mama bear and didn't do any skiing. I watched everyone's stuff while I got in some precious knitting time and people watched. Bubba seemed to get the hang of snowboarding halfway through his first and only run. Two other girls got hurt and only lasted one run too. It was really hot out there. I think we were barely there for 3 hours. Good thing I didn't get a lift ticket. They are super expensive and not worth getting one for only one run down the mountain. In my skiing days with my brother and cousins we'd at least be getting 5-10 runs in a day depending on the size of the ski resort....Boreal (small) or Squaw/Heavenly (massive!). To me Northstar is the perfect size for an intermediate skiier and my favorite place to go to of all the ski areas in Tahoe.

When we got back to the cabin, Chef Andrew started to prep the crab boil for dinner. While waiting for dinner to cook most of the group went in the hot tub and got a little too tipsy. I stayed sober (somebody had to!) and watched a movie with Sherwin until I got a call from the other part of the group that stayed behind at Northstar to get picked up. The crab boil dinner was delicious. We couldn't do it the traditional way where you just pour all the food on the table out of the pot. The owners of the cabin wouldn't have liked that.

Sunday morning we had to get up early for check out. (10am check out? wtf?). We went for coffee in the Tahoe Vista/Kings Beach area and headed home to avoid all the Tahoe traffic. It was a must faster drive home than getting there. Good times were had.

No comments: