10.21.2008

Library Love


I love bookstores and purchasing books. My Amazon shopping and wish list is also full of books waiting for me to buy. After spending $45 on 2 books I'm thinking...why??!! They're just going to end up taking up room and collecting dust after I'm done with them. I'm not one to read the same book again no matter how much I love the story. Then the light bulb in my itty bitty brain lit up...LIBRARY!

The last time I've used a library was probably in college, but mainly used for studying. Lots of studying hours were spent there. Before that I used my local library in my hometown a lot. For some reason I never thought to check the libraries out where I live now. Well, I know why. It's because the only one I knew about downtown is a piece of shit. I think I did a drive by a few years ago and thought it was the most sorry excuse of a crackerjack library I've ever seen and never thought about going to the library since. Last week I discovered that there's one close by my work and another one in the next town over 10 minutes away...the rest is history. What's awesome is that I can go online to the county library site, find books I want, put them on hold, wait for the email notice and pick them up. Doesn't take much to impress me. Sure, it could take weeks before it's my turn to get a popular book, but there's many other books to keep me busy in the mean time. I'm also excited to know that there's a bunch of knitting books available there too. Yippee! Oh yeah, and FREE wi-fi! Greatly useful when my stupid router hates me.
My Amazon wish/shopping list has been greatly cut back thanks to the library. I already have 2 books that I've been wanting on hold for me. It's ashame that the proposed new library that was supposed to be built across the street from my neighborhood isn't happening any time soon. Instead a community hall is being built in it's place. What a waste.

2 comments:

eleen said...

i super-heart libraries too! late fees are still cheaper than buying entire books (not that i'm ever late of course) and you're right - the fact that you can do so many things online makes it sooooo easy. plus there's hardly any room on our shelves for new books.

alameda library is awesome. pleasant hill and orinda are two of my other faves. :} hooray for libraries!

jeaniebeanie said...

Eleeeeeen! I've only checked out the PH library years ago and it's nice BUT the new Lafayette library is going to kick it's butt!

http://www.lafayettelib.com/building.html

Craftsman style 30,000 sq ft building with lots of parking. It's going to be so beautiful. I can't wait!

Maybe I was a librarian in a past life?