I was brushing my teeth and watching the news this morning (with no sound to not wake up Bubba) while I got ready for work. There was a clip of Sarah, one of the hosts on the radio morning show I listen to, then a quick shot of a bald headed dude....then it cut to commercial. Then it dawned on me that today we find out who the new co-host is of the show (since booting ex-cohost, No Name, a couple weeks ago). I'm thinking...that bald guy...hmmm...he looks familiar. Who is tha.... BUBBBBAAAAAA IT'S VINNNIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! HE'S BACK!!!!! OMG I WANT TO TURN ON THE RADIO!!!!! Of course I forgot that the radio clock we had in the room had sucky reception of that station and I should've let Bubba sleep. He was like...yeah yeah...you'll hear him when you get in your car. I got ready fast and jumped in my car 15 min earlier than I normally do so I could get the scoop.
You see...until about 6 years ago Vinnie was the other half of my favorite SF radio morning show. Then suddenly he was gone. No explanation and the station wasn't explaining either. It left some listeners baffled, but some knew something was wrong with him. There were rumors that he had an addiction. But to what? Until today we faithful listeners found out the real story of what happened. What's makes this even better is that the chemistry between Sarah and Vinnie is still there.
I suppose I'm a bit nostalgiac because 11 years ago Bubba and I commuted together and discovered this "new" radio station and morning show during the drive. It was so different than other stations because it had a main female lead host and until the FCC and Bush administration became poop heads, they talked about everything. EVERYTHING. Sarah and Vinnie gave us many good laughs and it made the crazy dot.com era traffic commute bareable. I continued to listen even though Bubba didn't. He doesn't do morning commutes anymore, but I still have to.
A few April Fool's days ago, the radio station pranked their listeners saying the beloved morning show was being replaced by another duo of people that sucked so bad. Another time they pranked us again saying the show was ending. I was bummed. I wasn't the only one who felt that way either. Listeners were not happy. I almost panicked and was thinking...what the hell am I going to listen to now!? What's going to keep me awake and entertained on my 45 minute drive to work?! I even tried looking for replacement morning shows. They were all crap, IMO. Fortunately it was a big joke.
It's funny how this show is a big part of some people's lives. It's just a morning show, right? Well, yeah it is but it's part of my morning ritual. I expect to hear familiar voices in the morning on my way to work. Like a reliable old friend that doesn't let you down. I've been listening so long just as others have and you hear these DJs talk about their families and lives that you feel like you know them. So yeah, it is heartbreaking when someone you've gotten to know leaves. It was unfortunate that No Name had to go but so happy Vin is back.Yay!
*after thoughts*
HA! I can't believe I posted about my love for my morning show.

No comments:
Post a Comment