I got there a few hours early to beat the crowd and find decent parking. There was available parking where event signs were posted and if it was too far to walk a shuttle came by nearby every few minutes to pick you up and drop you off closer to the gates. Everything was easy peasy.
Created with flickr slideshow.
I picked up my volunteer shirt that also served as my free entry. You're handed a simple linen tote as soon as you walk in to hold all the goodies you pick up during the day. I ate enough samples to fill my belly that I didn't need to buy lunch before my afternoon shift. I only splurged on an iced latte that I really needed to keep me caffeinated as I didn't know what kind of assignment I'd get. I was able to see every area of Sunset the public was allowed. I did skip some tours because the lines were a little too long for me to be wasting time waiting. The only tour I took the much anticipated look at the TEST KITCHEN. All the food you see in their magazine was created, cooked, and tasted there. The writers and cooks have to be precise when coming up with the recipes. That's my version of fun! The presenter said she got her job by knowing someone there. Just like the tech industry, there's networking in the food publishing world too. I need a friend from Sunset.
I requested a shaded area because I had enough sun walking around the event. I ended up in a shaded courtyard pouring wine for the San Luis Obispo (SLO) Wine Association while Heather, the rep gave info to the mass of people who wanted to know more. I learned about a whole new area of wineries I never knew existed. I knew about Paso Robles but didn't know there's this area called Edna Valley located in south SLO county. There were at least 10 bottles of wine out for people to sample and I had to buy my own glass to taste some. When there's a bunch of chilled white wines in front of you and it's warm out you wouldn't resist either. I was asked many times for specific information about the wines and wineries and of course I couldn't help. I tried to direct them to Heather (wine rep) the best I could. Otherwise it was a lot of small talk, pouring wine and people watching. There were quite a few who had too much wine. Heather knew how to deal with all the drunks who hung around a little too long for tastings. Heather was so nice she tipped me with 2 bottles of white wines I liked to bring home. SCORE!
I requested a shaded area because I had enough sun walking around the event. I ended up in a shaded courtyard pouring wine for the San Luis Obispo (SLO) Wine Association while Heather, the rep gave info to the mass of people who wanted to know more. I learned about a whole new area of wineries I never knew existed. I knew about Paso Robles but didn't know there's this area called Edna Valley located in south SLO county. There were at least 10 bottles of wine out for people to sample and I had to buy my own glass to taste some. When there's a bunch of chilled white wines in front of you and it's warm out you wouldn't resist either. I was asked many times for specific information about the wines and wineries and of course I couldn't help. I tried to direct them to Heather (wine rep) the best I could. Otherwise it was a lot of small talk, pouring wine and people watching. There were quite a few who had too much wine. Heather knew how to deal with all the drunks who hung around a little too long for tastings. Heather was so nice she tipped me with 2 bottles of white wines I liked to bring home. SCORE!
When I took a break I caught the last few minutes of Ryan Scott's food demo. At a Maker Faire years ago he was nice enough to take a pic with me. He's still hot and cooks. Can I sign up for one of these men please?
Four hours of standing majority of the time was exhausting but I'd do it again next year. Although, I would hope that by next year I can afford the cost of the ticket so I can enjoy an entire day roaming Sunset again.
Oh, and to the sloshed blonde lady who asked what wine movie was filmed in the Central Coast wineries? The movie is "Sideways". I think I need to re-watch that.
Oh, and to the sloshed blonde lady who asked what wine movie was filmed in the Central Coast wineries? The movie is "Sideways". I think I need to re-watch that.
No comments:
Post a Comment