I've been on a cooking kick lately since the weather has cooled down considerably over the past week.
We were given 1/2 a dozen duck eggs from Bubba's dad's farm last week. I have never cooked with duck eggs before but was told by his step-mom that they're amazing for baked goods. I scoured my cupboards for ideas. I found a bag of pecans, chocolate chips, and a ton of sugar and flour. Duh, chocolate chip cookies anyone? As I was making the batter, Bubba suggested I add the Ritter chocolate hazelnut bar that he's been saving for himself. I obliged. The batter made a ton! There was more than enough to bring to Sunday Dinner at Amma's, a batch for Robert's work, and a couple to keep at home for myself.
Over the weekend I was browsing through recipes online and for some reason congee aka porridge, caught my eye. Then I remembered the arroz caldo, a filipino version of congee, that my parents cooked every Christmas to eat after Midnight Mass and before we opened our presents. Comfort food. I immediately youtubed and googled recipes for arroz caldo. I found an easy recipe and this is the final product:
I need to figure out one more baked dish to use up the duck eggs before they expire. Banana bread? Carrot cake? More cookies? Or just have breakfast for dinner tomorrow and have a cheese filled omelette with bacon? So many possibilities.
No comments:
Post a Comment