
A week ago today many people lost someone who made an impression on everyone who's met him. Bubba's grandfather, who everyone knows as Papa passed away in his sleep at home. His health had not been good for awhile but went downhill fast when he started dialysis a couple years ago. He became very weak, which was hard to see him go through because he was still an active man when I met him 14 years ago. He was an avid outdoors man. Camping, fishing, and hunting. He still hunted then and drove far away to other states to do so with his friends and Bubba's father. I've heard many stories and memories of the trips Bubba tagged along on. Bubs isnt' much of a hunter. He didn't have the heart to kill live animals but he respected Papa's hobby.
When I met Bubba I would spend the weekends with him. He lived in his grandparent's studio and fortunately for me, they welcomed me with open arms and accepted me for who I am. I was instantly part of the family the moment I met them. Papa would cook me breakfast in the mornings because he knew his grandson wasn't an early riser or a breakfast eater. He would tell me his stories, dirty jokes, his random sayings (phooey dooey soupy doo??? dio mio up your flea-o???), memories of his family, etc. He became the grandfather I wish I had growing up. I never got to know my own. Both of mine passed on before I was 5 years old.
In the early days of my relationship with Bubba neither of us had cell phones then. I would have to call his grandparent's *GASP* landline phone to talk to Bubs. Papa would answer most of the time during the day. While waiting for Bubs to get to the phone I would have a quick convo on the phone with Papa but his hearing was starting to go and would always ask, "huh?" "what?" "say that again?". I was feeling punchy one day and told him that maybe he should clean his ears more often so he can hear me. Oh he heard me and I could hear on his end a lot of laughter. He got a kick out of that. At that point on he picked on me relentlessly at every family dinner and get together. It was his way of showing that he cared about you and I would rather have that than the silent treatment.
Being that Bub's family is Italian, the big Sunday dinners are definitely family tradition. I will miss seeing him in his kitchen. He told me when he officially retired he didn't let his wife do much cooking. He normally cooked all the family dinners. His seat at the dinner table was always at the end and my designated seat was always next to him. It will be hard not seeing him at the head of the table eating meals with us.
Papa was notorious for keeping his Playboy magazines in the kitchen for all to see. Finding the hidden "bunny" on the cover page of his new magazine while we had our dessert was typical.
Amma mentioned a number of times that he was called the "Porn King" of the neighborhood. What's funny is that Amma said that proudly. He owned that title.
Rest in peace Papa. I'm glad I got to know you in this life and hope to see you again in another. You're up there somewhere playing with your rifles in the deer forest of your dreams with an endless supply of dirty magazines and porn. Maybe even a couple Playboy bunnies to keep you company till you see Amma again. I will miss you dearly. Love, Jean
No comments:
Post a Comment