5.07.2009

Reminiscing

I did a random flickr search on Santa Cruz out of pure boredom. I miss the ocean. I miss living there. I don't miss school though. I should re-phrase that. I miss the UCSC campus and DON'T miss going to classes. As I was searching through other flickr member's photos I found pics of my freshman year dorm/college taken 2 years ago. Everything looks exactly the same and will probably stay that way till the end of time.

When I was in the process of filling out my college forms way back when and choosing where I wanted to live on the campus my parents made sure I checked the box on the form that said I want to live on an all female floor. They completely wanted to make sure that I had absolutely no fun my first year away from home. I ended up affiliated with Crown College and lived in Rutherford dorm...all female floor.

Crown was located at the top of the hill...the highest point on the campus. Let me tell ya...I did A LOT of walking the first 2 years I lived on campus. I didn't HAVE to work out because I went up and down that flippin' hill at least 3 or more times a day going to class or whatever. My classes seemed to always be spread out all over the campus so just getting to class was a hike. There were shuttles and busses that went through the campus but they were always packed full of students. I'd end up getting to class late if I waited for the next shuttle with room.

Entrance...
The office is on the right, mailroom is on the left where this awning is.
Courtyard/Upper quad of dorm rooms is in the background. My dorm was in the lower quad.

Courtyard...
Crown had it's own little cafe called Banana Joe's. I probably went in there twice the ENTIRE time I attended UCSC.
The glass door on the left is the entrance to the dreaded dining hall. Horrendous dorm food and shitty dining hours!! I never stepped foot in there again after my last meal freshman year.

Crown Library...
More like study area. This is where I sometimes escaped to study to get away from the roomie entertaining her boyfriend in our tiny dorm room. Argh.

My dorm building...

My room was on the second floor, middle window in this pic (hidden by the tree branches). I got a sucky view compared to the other side of the dorm (as seen in the next photo).
Lawn view of dorm. My friend had a great view! I would hang out in her room and gawk over a hot guy I was crushing on while he tanned out on the lawn. I couldn't go out there and lay out. I didn't want everyone gawking at me. Maybe I should have. My body was smokin' then.

It was tough but I had great memories freshman year. I definitely didn't miss my roommate though.

No comments: