2.09.2009

Eating, drinking, & more eating...plus a little venting

I'm lagging a little bit in posts but I think this one will make up for it.

Superbowl weekend was pretty busy. Friday night dinner at Suppenkuche (soup kitchen in German) kicked it off. Bubba likes to call it soup and coochie but really pronounced "soup-en-kook-a". It's the first time I've ever been to a German restaurant and it won't be my last. Though the volume of the restaurant was equivalent to that of a U2 concert, I enjoyed my time there. Maybe it was because of the beer I consumed? I never order beer but I figured I'd need it to deal with the ridiculous amount of people stuffed in there. Don't expect to have any intimate conversations if you have a date. Tables here are shared and they sit you wherever there's room for your party. Did I mention that this place had a bar smack dab in the middle of this tiny restaurant? One can order life-sized boot glasses of beer to share or drink it all yourself. It made for interesting people watching. Fortunately our server was great, we got our food fast, and the food was so delicious that I was craving it all last week.

German Cuisine

We waited a long time before we got seated so we were starving and ordered one too many appetizers. Two that are noteworthy are the potato pancakes w/ apple sauce and the bread dumpling w/ mushroom sauce. The entree I ordered was a 1/2 roasted chicked filled with a dumpling drowning in mushroom sauce with a side of potato pancakes. ALL delicious and just as good as leftovers the next day. I cannot get enough of the potato pancakes.

Saturday we woke up bright and early to reserve some tables at the Tomales Bay Oyster Co. for our group. We were a little worried about the weather but it ended up being a beautiful sunny day in late January. It was slightly chilly out but otherwise it was a perfect winter picnic weather! Every table was spoken for not long after we arrived. This was the view from our tables.

n576298318_2149935_5774

To be honest I wasn't too excited about coming to the oyster farm because I'm not an oyser fan nor do I get excited about eating oysters like many people I know. I even bought an "emergency" turkey sandwich in Tomales for back up in case I didn't like anything at the picnic. Turns out I really like oysters prepared this way:

n576298318_2149932_4753

Grilled oysters topped with mayo/schiracha sauce, tobiko, chili sauce, and green onions. I think I had about 5 of them. I can't ever have oysters another way again. Bubba's friend made an asian style oyster porridge that was tasty. The contraption to make the porridge was a little redneck. The stove top that holds the pot off the flame was missing from the box so the boys came up with this:

Redneck Stove

Crushed Sapporo beer cans are holding up the pot. By some miracle the cans didn't go flying out from underneath and porridge dumped everywhere. It was good times and good eating.

I found out that the Cowgirl Creamery was only 9 minutes down the road from the oyster farm so I had to go. I looooveee their cheese! When we got there I was expecting this place to be more...farm like? More cheese manufacturing going on maybe? I was dead wrong. Instead it's basically a cheese store inside Tomales Bay Foods.
photo.jpg photo.jpg

There is an area where cheese is being made and for tours but it wasn't as big as I thought. I'm glad I came to check it out but I was slightly disappointed. We still bought cheese, had some delicious organic ice cream and headed home.

Before the Superbowl started we accompanied Bubba's aunt and uncle on their dog walk in the San Bruno hills. It was another beautiful day. I got pics of the bay side and the ocean side of the peninsula. I wish I lived in that area. I love being so close to the ocean.

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

This weekend was a bit slower with much needed house cleaning. Bubba's friend and his girlfriend invited us out for dinner and a movie. We went to Ozone and stuffed ourselves good with Thai food. Really good entrees, but did not care for the desserts. I got the fried coconut ice cream. It was like ice cream wrapped with wonderbread and dipped in batter. It was not good at all.

Fried ice cream @ Ozone Thai

We went to the Metreon where we had free tickets to see Dark Knight playing on the IMAX screen. This is when things went terribly awry. Our passes were initially refused by management, but with Bubba's persistence they allowed us to see it for free. THEN about 30 minutes into the movie things got worse. Of all the rows to sit in, the 5 or so kids sitting behind us were wasted. The first clue was them booing the anti-drug commercial that played before the movie. The second clue were the beer bottles falling and rolling underneath our chairs. They started talking loudly and Bubba asked them to stop talking several times. The last straw was when the drunk girl put her foot on Bubba's friend's girlfriend's (follow that?) chair and hung it over her head. Bubba and his friend threw the chick's foot back at her. Bubba was like...I'm done! He went to find security and had them kicked out.

One of the kids left before security got to him and came back behind us and smacked the back of our chairs hitting mine the hardest. OHHHHHHHHHHHHH I WAS SOOOOOOO BEYOND PISSED and I let him know it. The little shit screamed back at me as he kept walking out of the theater but I couldn't hear anything since the movie was so loud. Man...what a douche. I had to let it go. I didn't want things to get worse and not ruin it more for the other people watching the movie. If that little shit laid one hand on me he would've lost an eye ball. Actually, if he laid a hand on me Bubba would've knocked that boy off his ass. After the movie...on the way home...stopped by a cop. We weren't doing ANYTHING but driving on the road at 2am!!! After making us sweat for 5 minutes cop told us that we were pulled over because the license plate light was out. That's a relief but I just wanted to get home.

Nothing happened Sunday but more cleaning. On the way to work this morning...I get a speeding ticket. ARRGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!!!! Not a good start to my week. On the bright side...things can only get better. RIGHT?!

No comments: