7.29.2007

Afternoon in SF: In the Mission

Bubba wanted to check out the new Dainese store (motorcycle clothing) in SF. We got a late start and didn't get there till late in the day. It's a nice huge store on South Van Ness. Bubba bought some knee/shin gaurds for some extra protection. With some time to spare I talked him into going over to my favorite yarn store, Imaginknit, over in the Mission Dolores/Castro District before it closed. We found street parking pretty quickly but it was tight. Bubba was able to parallel park the Jeep perfectly on his first try. He was so proud of himself he had to take of pic:
After shopping at the yarn store we decided to wander around the area. We followed all the locals walking their dogs to Dolores Park. It's where all the locals flock to sunbathe on a hot day in SF. It's a beautiful park with a great view of downtown (if those palm trees weren't in the way). There were tons of people hanging out with their friends and family. We sat at a bench and people/dog watched. It was nice but quickly got cold and windy as soon as the sun started setting.
We started getting hungry for dinner and walked over to Valencia St. (smack dab in the middle of the Mission district). It's a long stretch of boutiques and restaurants. There's a cool little boutique called Therapy that I like to check out everytime I'm in the area. I had to hold back from purchasing some cute earrings and a ring. Bubba bought some sushi playing cards.

Bubba wanted to try out Cha-ya but I so wasn't in a vegan/vegetarian mode. Maybe another time when I'm not feeling carnivorous. Also, the place is small and I found the wait ridiculous just to eat japanese style vegies. No thanks. I picked out a Mediterranean place instead called Ali Baba's Cave. There was meat, meat, and more meat! Lamb that is. I got the lamb schwarma plate. It was good, but it doesn't compare to The Mediterranean, a place I frequent to in Concord (of all places).
Bubba on the other hand didn't like this place as much. They fucked up his order twice! I felt bad because I picked this place. All he wanted was a lamb schwarma sandwich and they kept giving him a falafel filled sandwich. I'm not kidding. See the stack of 3 plates in front of him? Fortunately he found the humor in it and the employees were truly apologetic for being idiots. Don't think we'll come back here again. I hear there's better places.They didn't take back one of the sandwiches so we took it with us with the intention of giving it to someone who was hungry. We couldn't find one homeless person on the walk back to the car to give it to! Just our luck. So we brought it home and now I'm chowing down on it for lunch. It's ok. I've had better falafel.

No comments: