7.06.2011

Momofuku, I love your buns!

As I was roaming the aisles at Ranch 99 yesterday I found myself at the prepared food section that has roast duck, dim sum, breads, pastries, etc. A little light bulb went on. It was most likely that my tummy was telling me to hurry up and go home already to feed it dinner. I had a sudden craving for peking duck, Momofuku style. I was introduced to Momofuku's pork belly buns a few months ago from a blog I follow, Movies of Myself. Instead of using pork belly she substituted lechon. It looked so delicious with the quick salted cucumber pickles. I imagine you can substitute any type of meat for this bun recipe, in my case I planned to use duck.

I stayed up too late last night into the early morning finishing The Hunger Games (omghaveyoureadityoumustyoumustyoumust). The last 100 or so pages was so good I couldn't fall asleep because I wanted to know how it would end. So anyway, back to the food...I knew that I wouldn't be in the mood to do any serious cooking tonite. The duck with buns are perfect for a quick meal and fortunately I'm glad I waited a day to have it.

The most difficult of all the ingredients to find was the steamed folded buns. Apparently these suckers are in high demand because there was only 1 frozen package left. Lucky me! All that was left to scavenge were cucumbers ( I could only find Persian instead of Kirby) and the roast duck. I only needed a 1/2 duck for myself and the guy behind the counter gladly cut it up in pieces for me. The only thing I had to do on my part was prepare the quick pickles (done in 20 min max!) while the buns were steaming.

Just as the recipe suggested I slathered hoisin sauce on both sides of the opened bun, put a few pieces of duck on one side and topped it off with a large helping of quick pickle slices and a sprinkling of sliced green onion. I closed the bun and voila! Sadly, I have no pictures to show you but you better believe it was one of the best meals I've made at home in a long time!

I'm fading fast. Time to catch up on beauty sleep!

No comments: