I always feel like I'm always late to the party when I find or figure out things. It's no surprise to me that I need to make a decision quick or delay it till Fall to see if I really want to try being a paralegal. Right now I need a job and that's what I have to concentrate on. In my perfect world I would want a try at it through job experience where I can decide for myself if I can hack it. If I love it then I would ask my employer if they would be willing to pay for my certification through evening courses. In MY perfect world.
I'm not exactly sure what a paralegal does. What would it be like in a small firm vs. a large corporate one? How much stress could I handle? All I've been told by an acquaintance who is a lawer says a paralegal is a "lawyer's bitch". Her words. In my experience in a corporate environment, I've always taken that role anyway. Being a paralegal would be a giant step for me in having a career I'm proud of. The closer I get to 40 I realize I won't be satisfied with having another dead end job and not knowing what to do with myself 10 years from now. I know I'm already 15 years too late figuring out a career for myself but it is a start. The financial side of getting certified? As long as I can find work to pay for classes/books/etc., I would love to get the ball rolling. Again, in my perfect world I just need someone to give me a chance to step into the law world possibly as an entry legal secretary. With my background in the last job ideally I'd like to find a job as a legal word processor while taking Paralegal studies.
After being away from school for so long, the idea of attending classes is so overwhelming and scary. I have to get my ducks in a row. I need all the luck I can get. If I want to be a career paralegal badly I know I can make it happen with hard work. Can I handle it? I won't know until I try.
No comments:
Post a Comment